The factory called "Grinding Shop" was built by George W.
Bartholomew, 1846, for use in the manufacture of table cutlery.
The street was one of the pieces of abandoned road, called in
the deed of 1828 to Asa Bartholomew, "Mill Road."
Re-opened, 1846, and known
as "The New Road," until 1882, when
the first Bristol directory published the name "Warner Street." The
cutlery business was closed when Mr. Bartholomew in the fall of
1848 went with his friends to California.
In 1855 George Wells and Harry Shelton Bartholomew, (father and son)
formed the partnership under firm name G. W. & H. S. Bartholomew
to manufacture bit stock braces, beginning their project in the
In the early sixties the business was removed to the former
clock factories. Soon after the removal of the
Bartholomews, a wood turning enterprise was started and
conducted at this place by Alpress, Carpenter & Company (Charles
H. Alpress, Wm. B. Carpenter, Jr. and Augustus H. Warner).
There were changes in the personnel of the firm. C. H. Alpress' interest was bought by Henry A. Warner, father of
Augustus (Carpenter & Warner). The second change was in
the purchase by Mr. H. A. Warner of W. B. Carpenter's share in
The firm then was H. A. & A. H. Warner till their removal to
District No. 8, after the burning of the first (Grinding Shop)
and second (New Factory) built on its site. These fires
were the beginning of a series of similar calamities sufficient
to dishearten a common man.
Ruin's mark the locality of the Grinding Shop and its successor
The first manufacturer and builder known to have a business
career at the location marked 61, was the remarkable beaver that
built the first dam. Date of construction unknown.
In 1788, Benjamin and William Jerome purchased
from Amasa Ives an interest in the gristmill which was increased
in 1803. In 1809 William Jerome,
2d, was three-quarters owner with Isaac Graham owner of the
The mill was sold to Byington and Graham (Martin Byington and
Isaac Graham, Sen.), who conducted the mill for some years.
William Jerome, 2d, died 1821.
On the site of the
gristmill or in it, George W. Bartholomew with his cousin Eli
Bartholomew began to make clocks, 1828. G. W. Bartholomew
continued the business alone until 1840.
A second factory with bell was on the north side of the road
(the bell was finally used in Bristol for a school-house), where
decorating clock tablets and filling numbers for clock faces was
done by young women.
The Winstons did a brisk wood turning business for five years -
Possibly Allen Winston may have had for a short period an
industry in this building. Some of the Winstons made at
one time coffee roasters and Edward M. Barnes of Peaceable
Street made candle sticks in the basement.
Soon after 1860 G. W. and H. S. Bartholomew employed the Bunnell
Brothers (Warren and Norris) of Burlington to move the bell shop
across the street where it was joined to the first building to
increase the room needed for the bit brace works.
It was destroyed by fire 1884 when G. W. Bartholomew retired.
Harry Shelton Bartholomew built anew and was identified with this
business at the time of his death, February 19, 1902. His son
Joseph Peck Bartholomew who had relieved his father of all care
for several years continued the business until sold to Stanley
Rule & Level Company of New Britain. The factory is still
in possession of heirs of H. S. Bartholomew.
Bristol, Connecticut (in the
olden times New Cambridge)
which includes Forestville.
Published by City Printing Company, 1907
Record of the Bartholomew Family
by George Wells Bartholomew, Jr. - 1885