H. Mayhew & Co. have been engaged since 1866 as the
successors of H. S. Shepardson & Co. in the
manufacture of bits, braces, gimlets, etc.
employ 25 men, and operate with water-power. Messrs. Mayhew & Co. manufacture the double-cut bit,
patented by C. C. Tolman, of Shelburne, many years
ago, and first made in this country in 1855 by
Sargent & Foster, of Shelburne Falls.